Sunday, June 29, 2008

Outspotlight XXXII


On April 26, 2008 Rufus Wainwright was presented the Stephen F. Kolzak Award to Rufus Wainwright. The Stephen F. Kolzak Award is presented to an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for the LGBT community. But it is more than just coming out after gaining success, Rufus Wainwright is one of the first male musicians to rise to fame while living an openly gay life.

Born in 1973 to folk singers Loundon Wainwright III and Kate McCarrigle, it didn't take long to know that he was going to go into the family business. "It was painfully obvious to everyone from the age of about two," Rufus recalls. "I was banging on the piano, banging on pots, putting on top hats. I think everyone knew right away." Music mixed with comedy and drama and stirred with passion his life could be written in a cross between folksongs and arias, and in a way a good description of his songwriting and music.

Photo: NY Times

His parents divorcing when he was a child, he lived with his mother in Montreal for most of his youth. Both a U.S and Canadian citizen. He attended high school at the Millbrook School in New York (which would later inspire his song "Millbrook") and later briefly studied piano at Concordia and McGill Universities in Montreal. He began playing the piano at age six and started touring at thirteen with "The McGarrigle Sisters and Family" (a folk group featuring Rufus, his sister Martha, his mother Kate, and aunt Anna. His song "I'm A-Runnin", which he performed in the movie Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveler, earned him a nomination for a 1989 Genie Award(for Best Original Song). He was also nominated for a 1990 Canadian Juno Award (for Most Promising Male Vocalist of the Year).

Rufus came out as a teenager, and has said many times in interview, he could never be in the closet because he's a terrible liar. His parents may have recognized that his son was gay, but could not handle him being gay. "We never talked about it really." He lived in fear he had been infected with the AIDS virus after he was sexually assaulted at the age of 14 when he was attacked in London's Hyde Park after picking up a man in a bar. Claiming that he survived only by pretending to be an epileptic and faking a seizure. In one interview he commented his first homosexual experience traumatized him so much, became chaste. In another interview he mentioned embarking on a promiscuous spree. He says, "I had a string of straight boyfriends. "Guys I would occasionally have sex with, maybe only make out with, but never be allowed to say they were my boyfriend."

But it has always been the music. Through weekly shows at Cafe Sarajevo in Montreal, Wainwright became a fixture on the club circuit and eventually cut a series of demo tapes,DreamWorks acquired the demo tapes and signed him. Moving to New York City in the spring of 1996 and performing regularly at Club Fez, he built a loyal local audience. He relocated to Los Angeles that fall, and began recording his first studio album, Rufus Wainwright Wainwright's self-titled debut received critical acclaim; Rolling Stone magazine recognized it as one of the best albums of the year and named the singer "Best New Artist" of the year. Wainwright toured with Sean Lennon in the summer of 1998 and began his first headline tour later that year. In June 2001, his second album, Poses,was released to critical acclaim, but limited record sales. From 2001 to 2004, he toured with Tori Amos,Sting,Ben Folds, and Guster, as well as headlining the 2001 and 2002 tour in support of Poses. Despite a growing cult following and critical success, Wainwright has experienced somewhat limited commercial success in the U.S.

While working and support Poses he became addicted to crystal meth and experience temporary blindness from his addiction. It reached its peak in 2002, describing it as "the most surreal week of my life." During that week, he played a cameo role in the UK comedy television programme "Absolutely Fabulous"; spent several nights partying with the president's daughter,Barbara Bush; enjoyed a "debauched evening" with his mother and Marianne Faithfull; sang with Antony of Antony and the Johnsons for Zaldy's spring 2003 collection; and, throughout, experienced recurring hallucinations of his father. He decided shortly after that he "was either going to rehab or I was going to live with my father. I knew I needed an asshole to yell at me, and I felt he fit the bill". Seeking guidance, he telephoned his friend Elton John who persuaded him to check in to rehab which he has claimed in several interviews gave him a second chance.

He released two ep's Want One and Want Two filled with story songs of life, love, addiction, family, religion, and his sexuality; common themes in all of his work. They were repackaged together in the album Want. In May 2007, he released Release the Stars to growing and widening group of fans, some who discovered him through his contributions on such soundtracks as Moulin Rouge, I am Sam, Shrek, Meet the Robinsons and for his work on the Brokeback Mountain's soundtrack.

In 2006, Rufus took to the stage in tribute to Judy Garland and of her live performance at Carnegie Hall. He went on to do the tribute at the London Palladium and the Hollywood Bowl, release an album and DVD of the show.

He is currently working on writing his first opera, Prima Donna which he says will be about "a day in the life of an opera singer. I've been wanting to write an opera ever since I was 14, when I first heard Verdi's. After that I became an opera fanatic. All I could listen to was opera. I have more of an appreciation for pop because that's the world I live in, but my main passion is opera. So I just decided to write it, finally.

He shares his Gramercy Park home with his boyfriend, Jörn Weisbrodt, an arts administrator.
"I find that, especially in America, because being gay is relatively tolerated, now we're totally part of society and now you have to act like everyone else and move to the suburbs, and have kids, and be responsible. My argument is that all this acceptance could all change on a dime, so you always have to be a little smarter. You can't expect the world to be handed to you, and it's tremendous folly to think that now that we have totally blonde hair and act like everyone else, we will always be given the same rights and privileges and everything will be rainbows and sunshine. Life will always be a battle. But maybe that's just me. I love life as a battle."

Rufus and Jake : Release the Stars Tour

28 comments:

Special K said...

Sorry for delay on today's post.
Hope you enjoy it. And Rufus fans, please feel free to add even more here.

And remember our OMG Movie Club poll is still open.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great OutSpotlight today! I was so happy to see Rufus as the subject of our Out Spotlight, I just read quickly and will go back and savor every word. I adore him, and congrats to him on receiving the Stephen F. Kolzak award. Love him. *muah!*

I have yet to see him live, and hope to rectify that soon, he's got a great voice and seems to be a true artist. Exciting news about his opera coming up, definitely looking forward to that.

And Pricilla listens to ABBA? That tips the scales in favor of that movie, ABBA has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. ;)

Happy Sunday, all. :)

Anonymous said...

netb, I love ABBA as well. I'm excited about Mama Mia coming out with Meryl Streep & Colin Firth (love Colin Firth!). I've never seen it. Has anyone else seen it in dinner theatre? It's been around awhile, I think.

Boy, what happened yesterday? Some people got a little burr up their you know what. I still find it amusing & entertaining that NTB-ers have nothing better to do than peruse this site when it probably really shouldn't interest them. It can be aggravating, but now is mostly amusing to me. Ha! Well, until the next right one gets my ire up.

Hey, I got to see Jarhead on HBO last night! Oh my dog, Jake did look fantastic in that. It was a very good story and helped to put a perspective on war that I always knew was there, but made it very real to me. The damage done to those boys is such a permanent thing and I know I, for one, forget they are still over there day after day going through this stuff. I wouldn't go buy it, though - too depressing.

Hi Kacie!!! You must be going away for the 4th. Shoot some firecrackers for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and one more thing - thank you Special for the very nice piece on Rufus Wainright (sp?) When I finally get home tonight, I plan to re-read it and soak it up again. He's already had quite the life it sounds like.

Clarity said...

Good Spotlight today. Im not much into his music but I admire him as a person for being honest about his life and struggles. I wish him much success in his life. I totally agree with Kacie that its a shame that ppl just cant be themselves and live the life they want to live.

Have a great Sunday everyone : )

Anonymous said...

No, Prairie Girl, and Clarity, I
am not going anywhere on the 4th.
I am off from work this week and
trying to clean house, closets,and
do some things. Someday, I hope
Special K and Wicked will run a
photo of Jake and Austin side by
side with no shirts on! I did not
mean to sound so hateful on the
last thread! It just gets so Irritating to hear and see Jake
and Reese ALL the time. It has really opened my eyes to the way
Hollywood goes to cover up things.
It is a great article on Rufus.
Whichever way Jake choses to live
his life, I wish him the very best
and all the happiness in the world. The same thing goes for the
gorgeous Texan Austin! It will
probably be the last of the week
before I can catch you guys again.
Everybody take care and have a
good week. You may get a laugh out
of this-sometimes I actually think
Jake sneaks off at times to see
Austin. I guess stranger things
have happened. Take care and enjoy
the summer!Please keep me posted on when The Informers comes out
and on DVD. I cannot hardly wait
to see it!! I will catch you guys
later!!!

Special K said...

At the store on the way home from church. Looking at US cover while in the line. The guy checking me out, saw the look on my face and says, oh please like that's gonna happen and grins. I should've told him to check out OMG. : )

destiny said...

Happy Gay Pride Day.

What can I say, I adore Rufus, and I'm glad you chose to spotlight him on Gay Pride Day. Besides his music, I love the fact that he's so honest about everything, including the problems he's had.

I wonder whatever happened to plans to have a film of the Judy Garland concerts? Sam Mendes filmed his performances at Carnegie Hall several years ago.

I'm glad you finally got to see Jarhead Prarie Girl.

As for all the NTBers, they always seem to get bored when they don't have new Reeke photos to coo over.

destiny said...

That's a great story Special. Today in the NYT they had an article on Bonnie Fuller, and one of the covers they used to illustrate it was the Star cover of Reese and Julia Roberts that screams "Baby#3" A great quote from the story, which comes after a discussion about how a lot of hurtful and funny things have been written about Fuller:

Ms Fuller knows that dyad of funny/hurtful, having run cover articles about people getting divorced, pregnant and tossed into rehab. Sometimes those stories were true.

london tb said...

Kacie, you never sound hateful!

I loooove this man Rufus - thank you Spesh* Now I need to go and listen to Hallelujah for an hour again, the way I did the other night :)

Wicked said...

Wow, I didn't know Rufus had been addicted to meth. Glad he got off it.

Someday, I hope
Special K and Wicked will run a
photo of Jake and Austin side by
side with no shirts on!


Kacie, I hope your are able to check in periodically this week. I would not be surprised in the slightest if someone makes your suggestion a reality.

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe we won't get Reeked soon. Especially since these pix came out this weekend of Ryan and Abbie looking so happy. Interesting that the kids are not with Ryan since Mom's in London with her boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

Either he dropped the kids off with a sitter or the kids are in London with the nanny while Jake and Reese wander around Notting hill.

Anonymous said...

Either he dropped the kids off with a sitter or the kids are in London with the nanny while Jake and Reese wander around Notting hill.

Or she's not there!

Anonymous said...

Or he's not there.

Anonymous said...

Jake and Reese=Tools is Broadwing. Must be boring pretending to be a woman on Gyllenbabble, Chica.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Rufus spotlight. I love him, although his songs can be a bit hit and miss for me - some I love, some I really don't like. Sorry London, his version of Hellelujah doesn't do it for me - some versions give me chills but not his. :)
He does put on a great live show.

frenchy said...

Rufus has been an acquired taste for me; I like him a lot now but God knows I can understand why his nasal renditions are not everyone's cup of tea! ;)

I was quite surprised to learn that his parents were uncomfortable about his orientation; I always thought that as artists they totally understood and were quite accepting. I love Rufus' Release the Stars but I also regularly listen to the family's McGarrigle Hour - again a pretty eclectic work not to everybody's tastes I guess. ;) ;)

I'm really no opera fan; I love those popular "highlights" we sometimes get on best-of CDs but I could not imagine sitting through a whole opera, except that with colorful Rufus as a composer I might be strongly tempted to give it a serious try.

One thing I totally agree with Rufus though is that acceptance of gay people could all change on a dime. Damn, even in much more liberal Canada, we have a government that tried to reopen the debate on same-sex marriage (it failed) and right now is trying to introduce a legislation that would give rights to the foetus, therefore opening the door to challenging a woman's right to abortion. :( You're right Rufus, one always have to be a little smarter.

Again, thanks for that great Spotlight Special!

And thanks Kacie for the shirtless suggestion! :) :)

frenchy said...

Forgot to say that you forgot my suggestion of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in you list, but I don't care! I don't care! I voted for Auntie Mame anyway. :D

And if people prefer Priscilla, my copy is already waiting in the living room. I bought that DVD because of Hugo Weaving first and foremost but Terence Stamp and Guy Pearce are really great too.

Anonymous said...

My first exposure to Rufus was when I bought the Brokeback soundtrack. I guess I did not sit through the credits at the movie, cause when I heard The Maker Makes for the first time, I burst into tears. Then I said who the hell is that singing. His nasality can be a bit much, and his lyrics are very personal. I've acquired most of his albums, live DVD performances and admire him a lot. Especially because he is so totally out. He does tell a story about his father watching him walk around as a child in high heels and that dad must have known he was gay even before he did.

I'm noticing a lot of same sex couples turning up in ads in the SF Chronicle. Big companies like Macy's but smaller ones as well. Nice to see.

frenchy said...

I guess I did not sit through the credits at the movie, cause when I heard The Maker Makes for the first time, I burst into tears.

Love that song too M, but I also love the much lighter King of the Road sung as a duet by Rufus and Teddy Thompson.

One thing I love about Rufus is that he can really hit those very low notes. I don't know how he'd be classified, baritone or bass? Personally, I always preferred those voices than the higher ones. People's fascination for tenors has always been a mystery to me.

Anonymous said...

He's a baritone, and I think his voice is resonant! I love that quality of his voice. ;)

That's when I first discovered him too, on The Maker Makes on the BBM soundtrack. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Gay Pride Day! :*

Actually, I think it was when I heard A Bit of You that I first discovered Rufus, now that I think of it. I find hihs voice very rich, deep and resonant.

I also agree that people can't take hard-won rights for granted, you have to be ever vigilant to keep them, anything can turn on a dime if people become apathetic - that goes for any, whether LGTB rights, women's rights, environmental rights.

I also read in my Sunday paper today that a move we discussed here at OMG, Jihad for Love, is playing at the Coolidge Corner theater in Boston.

destiny said...

I first heard Rufus when his first cd came out; it got a lot of play on some of the radio stations I listen to. But I never thought he was someone I'd want to listen to all of the time, and some of his early interviews kind of turned me off too--a bit too much ego for my taste . :D It wasn't until I'd played the BBM soundtrack like a million times that I broke down and bought one of his cds--Wants Two, which was all I could find in the store I went to. I like that one a lot, partly because his later work is more interesting musically than his first cd, which was a bit more in the typical singer-songwriter mold.

I think he is an acquired taste, my gf and a lot of my friends just don't understand the appeal.

Special K said...

Rufus is an acquired artist definitely.

I do think he did one of the best covers of a Beatles song (Across the Universe), and a highlight of the I am Sam soundtrack.

Maker Makes is incredibly moving. And enjoyed him through his work on soundtracks first.

I got Release the Star and worn through that over and over and over again and then worked backwards through his music, finding little gems at each turn.

Today's song was recommended to me by a great friend and it's a favorite of his. I loved it as soon as I heard it and especially the last few lines:

Im just a little bit heiress, a little bit irish
A little bit tower of pisa
Whenever I see ya
So please be kind if I'm a mess

Florida Tom said...

Rufus has had an interesting and challenging life. It is great to see him doing so well. The gay community should be very proud of him.

It doesn't sound like he had a great relationship with his father but a friend of mine really liked his fathers music.

Anonymous said...

Im just a little bit heiress,
a little bit Irish
A little bit Tower of Pisa
Whenever I see ya
So please be kind if I'm a mess


Special, I absolutely love these lines. Just great. I loved this song when I first heard it too, today. Thanks! ;)

I too think the Gay Community should be very proud of Rufus.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Rufus! I just needed to say that.

The thing is, it's when seeing him live the first time, that I truly understood how amazing he is. There's just no one like him on stage. He's an entertainer and an amazing musician. Not only does he always, always sound great live, he also always has me in stitches everytime he speaks. He's completely hilarious.

The only one who can measure up in terms of entertaining talks during a concert, is Tom McRae. :)