Sunday, July 6, 2008

Out Spotlight XXXII

How can you not mention Martina Navratilova on one the biggest tennis days of the year.

Martina Navratilova was born on October 18, 1956, in Prague, Czechoslovakia, Martina emigrated to the United States in 1975 to pursue her tennis career in an atmosphere of freedom after a life time under Communist rule. . By the end of the 70s, she secured place in tennis history, crowned the WTA Tour Player of the Year twice, acquiring her first two Wimbledon singles championships, and attaining her first (of many) number one rankings.

That was just a warm up. By the early 80s, she became the most dominant player in tennis. That is not just women's tennis, but all of tennis. In ‘81, she won the Australian Open while 1982 saw her take both the singles and doubles championships at Wimbledon and the French Open. In 1983 three Grand Slam titles that year, bringing her record for the year to a remarkable 86-1, a year-long winning percentage that has never been matched. 1984 saw her extend her record to six Grand Slam singles titles in a row before her 74 game winning streak was snapped in the semi-finals of the Australian Open. Her success continued through the decade as she reached the semi-finals in all 11 Grand Slams held in the years 1985 – 1987 and in 1990 she hoisted the Wimbledon dish one last time, bringing her to an all-time record of 9 Wimbledon singles titles.

She was named one of Sports Illustrated’s “Top 40 Athletes of All-time” for her overall contributions to the world of athletics, and in 2000 she was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. In 2003, she won the mixed-doubles titles at both the Australian Open and Wimbledon, making her the oldest player to win a Grand Slam title and also giving her a Grand Slam “boxed set” (winning all four Grand Slams playing singles, doubles, and mixed doubles).

For all her incredible success on the court, Martina Navratilova has achieve as much respect off the court for her openness and activism for gay rights, environmental organizations, animal rights, and under-privileged children. Her philosophy is not only giving her money but also her time to those in causes that which she knows she can make a difference, for causes for those who cannot help themselves and those charities which she has an emotional connection. She is involved in LGBT organizations and is respected for her refreshing honesty about her sexuality. When asked by the press about her relationship with author Rita Mae Brown, she admitted it and announced she was a lesbian, she was one of first public figures, not just in sports to do so.

But what makes Martina set apart is that even after coming out, it never changed her standing or the opinion of who she was. She did not become Lesbian Tennis Legend Martina Navratilova, she's just Tennis Legend Martina Navratilova. Her sexuality did not become a label, it was just part of who she is. She has done something remarkable in sports, coming out during the height of her career. It did not effect her performance, her identity in her sport, her fan base, the sport of tennis, and for many who were watching her sponsorship. She is one of only a handful of athletes to come out while still actively participating in their sport.

Labels are for filing.
Labels are for clothing.
Labels are not for people.

~Martina Navratilova

M-A-R-T-I-N-A by Phranc


Just a little nod to the men's final today.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great spotlight on one of the greatest athletes, male or female, Martina. When you look back at her accomplishments, it's incredible. I remember her dominance, but never really appreciated it back then. I always thought she was so incredibly fit without being bulky or too muscular. It's wonderful to see how many charitable/social causes she spends time on.

Hey, Kacie, I'm on the big V this week (woo hoo!). As I always ask my co-workers, is the big D (depression) setting in yet? About going back to work : ) So just a fair warning to everyone, I may be a little chatty. Or not. At least one thing, I don't have to worry about hitting the minimize icon real quick-like! lol

Anonymous said...

I have always liked Martina Navratilova and thought she was a
super athlete and did some great
things off the court by things she
endorsed.
Prairie Girl, I will actually be
glad to get back to work.!
I looked at the horse pictures
with Jake made in London. Does
anyone besides me think he was
mocking gay people with the wrist
and shirt? Maybe it is just me but
if he is mocking people, I would
be ashamed!
I also enlarged the photo of Jake and Reese at the concert. It
does look she was sitting in his
lap and he was hugging her tight.
Why couldn't they just be honest
about their relationship instead of every thing to do being photographed?
I also took a look at Austin
Nichols Fan. com and in the June
2, 2008, article Sophia Bush said
she had DATED AUSTIN FOR TWO YEARS!
If people could just be honest,
what a better world it would be!
Whatever happens in Jake and Austin's lives, I wish them the
best!
Do any of you think that Ted
will ever call an end to the Toothy Tile saga?
Please take care and have a good July!

Clarity said...

What an excellent and fitting Spotlight today Special. Martina is my all time favorite athlete! I followed her career closely when I was in college and she was such an inspiration to me as a woman. Her story shows just what you can do when you believe in yourself. She never wavered on her views or her talent and love for the game. I know she took some real heat for it but she stood her ground. She earned her colleagues’ respect and love from fans around the world. She is I feel someone who can proudly look back on their life and be proud.

I’m watching some the mens final now. It looks like its going to be close. Ill be out most of the day but ill check in tonight sometime.

Interesting song – never heard that one before. Have a great Sunday everyone : )

destiny said...

Great spotlight. What really struck me reading it is how revolutionary she still is, and how little things have changed in terms of having people of her stature who are out, and out while still at the top. And given that she was so well-accepted, continued to get endorsements, etc., it seems puzzling. In some ways it seems like homophobia in women's sports is worse now; I suppose a lot of that has to do with the fact that bigger money is at stake now.

Wicked said...

Do any of you think that Ted
will ever call an end to the Toothy Tile saga?


No, I think if there was nothing more to say, Ted would just say nothing, rather than declaring a formal end.

I love it that Martina is the AARP Health and Fitness ambassador. And they refer to her as "Tennis Legend Martina Navratilova."

AARP press release

frenchy said...

At least one thing, I don't have to worry about hitting the minimize icon real quick-like! lol

It's been a while now since OMG has become verboten at work and I really miss that real-quick maneuvering. ;) PG I envy you!

Totally spot-on Spotlight.
Not being a sports fan myself, I never followed Martina Navratilova's career but I remember how much she was revered an it's obvious she still commands much respect.

I also remember that her coming-out was treated as a matter-of-fact situation, nothing to call home about. I always found her a really appealing mix of honesty, friendly frankness and class.

Thanks for the links and all the info on that great lady.

And given that she was so well-accepted, continued to get endorsements, etc., it seems puzzling. In some ways it seems like homophobia in women's sports is worse now; I suppose a lot of that has to do with the fact that bigger money is at stake now.

ITA agree Destiny. Also, we hear and know that young people are usually more accepting than in the past but I seriously wonder if sports moguls will take this progress into account.

Anonymous said...

Great post about Martina. Didn't know about a box set thing but wow winning Grand Slams in singles double and mixed doubles.

Awesome quote too.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much for this fantastic tribute to Martina, whom I've idolised for years, not just for her unrivalled achievements as a tennis player but also for her great courage,both in defecting from her native Czechoslovakia and in being honest about her sexuality.

A lovely person with a big,big heart to match her talent, Martina is a veritable goddess and it's wonderful to see her celebrated here!

Special K said...

Is Martina the greatest Women Athlete?

I can't think of who else has had her level of success and sustained it.

Ok, maybe Babe Zaharias. Can you think of anyone else?

And have to say I love this quote of hers. And it can apply to anyone, any age and any walk of life.

destiny said...

There are certainly a lot of women athletes who were or are great athletes, many of them in tennis like Billie Jean King and the Williams sisters, but at the moment I can't think of any that are in the same category as Martina.

Anonymous said...

It's been a while now since OMG has become verboten at work and I really miss that real-quick maneuvering. ;) PG I envy you!

Frenchy, I had to look up verboten!You helped me learn a new word today. I'm surprised myself that I can get on sites like TMZ & whatnot. We're usually too busy to even get on but when I do, I really try & do it when I'm on my lunchbreak or 1st thing in the morning. But our office is not like cubicle military camp; heck, our own supervisor will check out the weather channel or local news station when there's some big breaking story that we hear about.
I don't usually do TMZ & I especially don't do Dlisted at work because you never know when some 3/4 nekkid person is going to blare out on the screen. That's all I need to appear! But love to check out what I'm missing on OMG. : )

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

Another great Out Spotlight today. Can't add any more than what's already been said about the wonderful Martina Navratilova except that I've admired her for years, a truly great person, period. I respect so much that she gets involved in and cares about causes such as LGBT rights, animal rights, environmental organizations, and is out and proud, the beautiful person she is.

Great tennis match today too. Looking forward to our next movie, Pricilla. :)

Special K said...

Watched Wimbledon today and yes with some strawberries and cream (well ok, whole milk, but that's cream when you drink skim the rest of the time).

Remember reading that Austin watched tapes of men's tennis to get a feel for he character for the movie, besides all the practice.

I think he watch a little more McEnroe than others. What would have happened if he had channeled Agassi instead? Could you imagine the hair?

Special K said...

Wimbledon Men's Final that is.
I'll save the movie for later. ; )

Anonymous said...

I was glad to hear the Napal won!
It was a great match! I will catch
OMG later on in the week. It is
back to work for me today!

Clarity said...

I didnt get a chance to find out who won the mens final. Glad it was Nadal. Thanks Kacie : )

Anonymous said...

Clarity, you are welcome! I am sorry that I misspelled his name.
I have a question: has Ted said
anything to indicate that Toothy Tile and boyfriend have had a complete breakup since May 2007?
I still think that something happened in May 2007 at the Borders Bookstore that scared Jake
and Austin. I think that is the
reason for no more photos.
Someday, when Special K and
Wicked, could they put together all the Toothy Tile articles and
blind items? I have not read all of them.
Wicked once said there was such
a chemistry between J@A she did not think they could just remain
friends. If so, I would hope that
they stay good friends!
Whatever way it does turn out,
I wish Jake the best! It is such
a shame that people cannot just be
honest!
Keep your eyes and ears open
and see if Austin mentions a special FEMALE in his interviews
in the coming year!
Take care everybody and I will try my best to catch up later
in the week!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh God, babblers are bored again. LOL

Anonymous said...

Q: What’s his best impression? A gay man ordering a drink. Trust me, it’s hilarious!

Anne Hathaway on Jake Gyllenhaal, found on WDW

Sounds offensive to me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh God, babblers are bored again. LOL

Can you blame them? Wouldn't you be bored if your focus was on Reeke? It makes me yawn just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

I read that as well, Sadness, and I agree. Things keep getting worse and worse, and I can't figure out why. Hopefully, he was very young and immature at the time he made that remark. :(