Sunday, September 21, 2008

Out Spotlight XXXXI

Tonight are the Emmy awards here in the U.S. and what a perfect day for today's Out Spotlight. Neil Patrick Harris.

NPH has done something that no one, actors, executives, agents and others thought was impossible: an openly gay man playing a skirt chasing womanizer, being a spokesman with major endorsement deals, and being one of the faces of his television network.

Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on June 15, 1973, Neil grew up the second son of two lawyers in Ruidoso, New Mexico, and found his way into acting after following his older brother to an audition. His first role? Toto in a school production of the Wizard of Oz.

While many think of his first role is that of young doctor Doogie Howser, in Doogie Houser M.D., his first roles wer in 1988, when he starred in two movies: the film Clara's Heart, a drama with Whoopi Goldberg that won him a Golden Globe nomination, and Purple People Eater, a children's move. It was in 1989 that NPH got the role in Doogie Howser, M.D., for which he was again nominated for a Golden Globe. After Doogie Howser's four-season run ended in 1993.

After Doogie, he took time to do other things, but never left performing. Taking on some guest roles on television series, before taking his first film role as an adult in 1995 in the little-seen shocker Animal Room. Other film included supporting roles in The Next Best Thing, Undercover Brother, Starship Troopers and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, in which he played a drug-crazed, lecherous parody of himself.

But Broadway had a calling for NPH and he answer that as well. Working on Broadway in both musical and dramatic roles. He played Tobias Ragg in 2001 concert performances of Sweeney Todd. In 2002, he performed on Broadway beside Anne Heche in Proof. In 2003, he took the role of the Emcee in Cabaret, alongside Deborah Gibson and Tom Bosley. As a result of his critically acclaimed performance in Cabaret, Harris was named the top drawing headliner in the role of the Emcee by GuestStarCasting.com, topping fellow celeb stars John Stamos and Alan Cumming. In 2004, he performed a dual role of the Balladeer and Lee Harvey Oswald on Broadway in the controversial musical revival of Stephen Sondheim's Assassins. He also sang the role of Charles (first played by Anthony Perkins) on the Nonesuch recording of Sondheim's Evening Primrose. He has also portrayed Mark Cohen in the musical RENT.

In 2005 went back to weekly television in CBS's ensemble sitcom How I Met Your Mother, playing a serial womanizer Barney Stinson which earned him a 2007 and a 2008 Emmy nomination. Tonight we will see if Emmy nominated Neil Patrick Harris will become Emmy award winner Neil Patrick Harris.

Neil is a great comedian,great guest on talk shows, and competitor on game shows. NPH just seems to love to perform and have fun. He is a regular fill in guest host for Regis Philbin on Live with Regis and Kelly. He also was the co-host of this years Science and Technical Awards of the Emmy's.

During Neil's career and transition from child to adult actor, he was also growing from boy to man, there were never any child star gone wild moments for him. He is one of handful of child stars in became a well adjusted adult performer with his priorities and outlook solid. But it was not without scandal or what some tried to make into a scandal. In 2006, the website Canada.com ran a story about NPH being gay it was immediately downplayed by his publicist Craig Snyder insisting "He's not of that persuasion. While many in Hollywood would let what their publicist say be their voice, and not say anything, Neil did just the opposite, he wanted to make people knew he was not denying being gay. He came forward and not only negated his publicit statements, but acknowledge that gay rumors and said that he was gay in an exclusive to People magazine.

"The public eye has always been kind to me, and until recently I have been able to live a pretty normal life. Now it seems there is speculation and interest in my private life and relationships.

"So, rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."

Looking back on the situation in an interview with Ellen De Generes, he said: "There was a little of media scrutiny heading my way. People were starting to ask for stories of other people that may have fooled around with me, and the last thing you want to do is talk about your private life based on scandal. "I'm not a very scandalous person and so I didn't want to have to respond to some story, whether it was lie or truth - so I just made a statement and sort squashed the fires." And since his announcement, Harris has been delighted with the public response, revealing, "For me that is the greatest ending to the story so far - that nothing really has changed at all. "I'm doing nothing different and people aren't behaving differently towards me. ... People heard and they're like 'Yeah, and?' That attitude, I think, was great."

He and his long time partner fellow David Burtka. Neil and David attended the 2007 Emmys together last September as an openly acknowledged gay couple for the first time. Neil and David have been together since 2004. Harris refers to Burtka as "My better half" and an "amazing chef."

Something you might not know about NPH is that he is now one of America's top magicians, after he was voted onto the board of the Illustrious Magic Castle. NPH has been into for years - and now sits with the top tricksters at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, the home of the Academy of Magic Arts. His appointment to the board of directors is very significa - he is the first celebrity to be receive the honor since Cary Grant.


"I’m a magician at heart, so smoke and mirrors is great. The idea of smoke and mirrors tends to suggest suppression and the idea that you don’t want people to know about who you really are, but as an actor you kind of do want people to not know who you really are. I think it was nice to have a bit of a smoke screen in a way."

"(I) am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest."



Neil and David singing Part 2

NPH: Out Magazine (article)

NPH: Live with Regis & Kelly

NPH: Sesame Street Shoe Fairy

NPH: Spoofing Doogie Howser M.D. for Old Spice


NPH: Harold & Kumar (NSFW)

NPH: Barney Stinson - Legendary

31 comments:

destiny said...

I didn't realize you've never done a Spotlight on NPH. He really is just the best. If anything coming out seems to have only helped his career. I think people really respect him for what he has done, and for not lying to people.

Anonymous said...

Posted on WFT2

Cover Girl's Use Of Gays & Blacks: Progressive? Or Pandering?

As previously reported, Cover Girl recently made a deal with Ellen DeGeneres to be the "face" of its brand. But Ellen isn't CoverGirl's first interesting pick: They also have Queen Latifah. As a post on Jossip points out, Queen Latifah is black, not stick-thin, and often rumored to be gay. The brand has also used black ladies like Brandy, Rihanna, Eva Pigford and Kiara Kubukuru in its ads. Jossip asks the question: Is Cover Girl the most progressive cosmetics company? A commenter on Jossip says: No.

Cover Girl

Florida Tom said...

Wow awesome Out Spotlight. One of my all time favorites. I adore NPH. He is my hero. I am so happy that evrything has went well for him since he came out. I am so hoping that he wins the Emmy tonight. He has a shot. What has happened to Neal since he came out is what can be possible for other gay men in the entertainment business. I guess HW and mens professional sports are the last frontiers where being yourself is not the thing to do. HW has so many gay entertainers that are so afraid to come out. We all know that. It will just take a couple to get the ball rolling I believe. Just a couple guys with the courage to take the plunge.

Anonymous said...

Love the videos of Neil and David singing together.

Special K said...

A little football

While I'm a Pats fan. I got gotta go with the Eagles for today's game vs. the Steelers. Yeah you heard that right Wicked.

Florida Tom said...

Lets go Eagles. Lets go Phillies.

Lets go NPH.

Lets go Jake. Closets are for clothes Dude.

Anonymous said...

What NPH relationship to David kids?

Florida Tom said...

NPH is my HERO!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great spotlight today. Must confess I was not aware of what an all around performer NPH is. I'd love to see him in a Broadway play next time he does one and that Old Spice commercial was a riot. Kudos to NPH.

Anonymous said...

NPH can cook saw him on Food Network on Dinner Impossible and he was great.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely spotlight and a cute couple :) All I knew of NPH's career before was Doogie Howser and Startrip Troopers.

Anonymous said...

I have more artistic control in a smaller show. But it doesn't really matter. Sometimes you can have the smallest role in the smallest production and still make a big impact.

Neil Patrick Harris

Blue Velvet said...

Hope NPH wins the emmy. He's hilarious in HIMYM.

Special K said...

I love NPH, I love him filling for Regis and how much fun he has wherever he is and whatever he is doing. I saw him on Food Network too and watched him assisting in making a meal for his fellow magicians. And he is really well respected among the magic community.

Favorite movies roles -- him as Lance in Undercover Brother. To see him play off of Dave Chapelle too funny. And of course playing himself in Harold & Kumar, because he just went with it and had fun.

I don't think if asked anyone in HW they would have thought that he could have the success he has after coming out. But he has proven them wrong.

I don't know how many can handle their careers with such grace and such ease as he's made it look. He's great example for not only for gay performers but also for child stars as well. I think part of it is that NPH is so grounded.

Anonymous said...

I never saw Doogie Howswer but I first saw and fell in love with NPH when he was on Stark Raving Mad (with Tony Shaloub) which was a 1 season sitcom TV show. NPH played an obsessive-compulsive book-agent-editor who had a lot of different phobias. There were some really great physical comedy scenes with him. Like one where he was alone stuck in an elevator and getting claustrophobic and so he calls Tony on his cell phone and asks him what to do (but unknown to NPH Tony made the elevator stop on purpose as a practical joke and is watching and taping him on the elevator surveillance camera) and Tony tells him to jerk dance to get the elevator moving. SRM was the first time I saw NPH and his acting, physicality and expressions were totally awesome. Liked him ever since.

NPH reminds me a lot of Jake, how he carries himself, especially his posture and the balanced facial expressions.

About actors' wild partying in public: Maybe its because the wild hetero lifestyle is more accepted in the general population but it seems like the gay actors are more mature and have more dignity than to do a Britney stunt or the typical HW party whore scene. (Or maybe just way more careful than to get caught.) I'm thinking of people like Barrowman, TR Knight, NPH, Ellen & Portia, some of the other ones who have been in the OMG Spotlights. Even Jake, Austin who aren't out. You never really hear about them. I agree with the LA Police Cheif who said that it's not whether the HW celebs are gay or hetero, what matters is how they behave. Imo, NPH is someone to look up to, as a great actor, a child star done good, a truthful and proud man.

Wicked said...

Been watching football and catching up with everything getting back from vacation, so just now had a chance to check in. I hope NPH wins tonight. I'd love to hear what he would have to say.

Anonymous said...

From Out.com

OUT: Why does it seem like none of the gay child actors ever go the Diff’rent Strokes route and spiral out of control? You, Danny Pintauro, Chad Allen, Sara Gilbert: You’re all described by most accounts as well-adjusted. Did being gay affect that?

NPH: Maybe I felt a bit restrained when I was out and partying as a kid at trendy clubs, that I was putting on a bit of an act within myself -- like having to act like those chicks should sit with us at our booth even though I didn’t really enjoy it. Maybe that kept me from going out as much? But then again, I could rattle [off] more examples of people who are deeply closeted and turn to hard-core drugs and party all the time to escape it. But I like your statistics.

Special K said...

Saw NPH on the red carpet with David. And loved that he brought him up as he was finishing up his interview with Ryan Seacrest. Did anyone else see it?

Neil did an awesome job hosting on the Creative Arts Emmys that were on E! last night. Maybe next year we will see him help host the Prime time Emmys.

Special K said...

I can't even talk about football. It's gonna be a long season for Pat's fans. But Congrats to the Eagles!

destiny said...

They didn't run the Pats game here so I didn't see the did it, but I can't believe the Dolphins not only won, but won by a mile.

I can never bring myself to watch the Emmys, and missed the red carpet, but hopefully some of that will pop up on the internet. I have however checked out the coverage on Dlisted. I guess NPH didn't win :-(

prairiegirl said...

Hey, Special, it's going to be a long one for Chiefs fans, as well.

Glad I had the sense to give up my season tics years ago.

Florida Tom said...

No Spesh Neal didnt win. I am dissappointed but not overly surprised. Jeremy Piven won Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy series for the third straight year. He was actually the favorite to win and the voters seem to love him. I have never seen the show so I can't comment.

I love Neal Patrick Harris.

prairiegirl said...

Jeremy Piven is a good actor. I've only seen him in movies. He's played John Cusak's sidekick several times. It was nice to see him get a series of his own and out of the spotlight of others.
But otoh, it's nice to see awards get shared around and not the same people winning all the time.

destiny said...

I do love Piven in Entourage, but the fact he has now won 3 years in a row is one of the things that is wrong with the Emmys. It's more "clubby" than any other awards show, and the same people win year after year in many a category It took years for them to recognize the Sopranos or any other shows on premium cable, for example. Just one of the reasons I don't watch the Emmys.

prairiegirl said...

I know, I agree with you, Destiny. It does get tiring to see the same people win every year.
But tonight, they had Don Rickles on there. A real nice moment. He's old school. I remember watching him on those Dean Martin Roasts. Those were hilarious! He could be brutal. I'm glad Kathy Griffin stepped aside and let him have his moment in the light tonight.

And talk about old school, they also showed the Smothers Brothers. Tommy Smothers took the stage and saluted his brother, Dick. Those 2 go waaaay back. Oh, and some of the cast of HeeHaw. My gosh, I haven't seen JoAnn Worley in ages. And Ruth Buzzi.

Anonymous said...

Great Out Spotlight today - I always look forward to them. NPH looks great - Doogie Houser has grown into a mature man, and I don't think he's ever looked better, IMO. All the best to him and David. :)

Anonymous said...

I always liked Ruth Buzzi and her
little old lady with the handbag.
Neil Patrick Harris is an incredible actor and human being.
He did a great job playing King
Charles V in Joan of Arc in 1999.
I am a history fan as you can see.
He has always been honest and I
think people have great respect
for that. I wish him and David all
the best.
When we have the recipe day I
challenge some of you to come up
with some sugarfree cookies and
fudge recipes. The reason is I
CANNOT HAVE SUGAR.No, I am not a
diabetic(so far) but since having
this gastric bypass anything with
sugar makes me DEATHLY SICK! That
is why they call it the dumping
syndrome!! I also advise anyone
thinking about having the gastric
bypass to think TWICE!! Some people have died from it. I nearly
did-my kidneys shut down and I
also developed a blood clot in my
right leg. I will catch you guys
later. I will see you later on in
the week. I have to get ready for
work.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy Piven was in Highway with Jake and Jared.

Clarity said...

Great Spotlight on NPH. I haven't had time to look at everything but I definately will. I'm so glad he's happy. Those first 2 pics you posted were HOTT. He really looks great : )

prairiegirl said...

Good morning, Kacie & :)!! I, too, am up early even tho it's big V time this week. I'm waiting for some predawn light so I can go walk.

Kacie, girl, you are going into work so stinking early! How do you do that? I have an excellent recipe for a gelatin type salad that is sugar free. My family has it just about every Thanksgiving & Christmas because my dad is diabetic. It is really good.
I have a friend, actually it's the girl who came over Sat. night to watch movies, who went through a very similar type surgery, but it wasn't for weight loss. Her body wasn't processing sugar right, I can't remember the body organ/gland that wasn't working correctly. The pancreas? Can't remember. She was very sick off & on for several years. In fact, her surgeon rehooked up her indoor plumbing incorrectly, as well as other people's. But the physician died before they could get the class action lawsuit going. Anyway, long story there.
I'm sorry you had such a tough time of it. I thank God you are with us. Sounds like you've been through an incredible time. I hope you're doing okay now?

You know, food manufacturers are branching out more into sugar free/no sugar added foods. Yogurt, ice cream; they need to work on ketchup, don't they? I know ketchup is a real culprit.

prairiegirl said...

Morning, Clarity! You must be getting ready for work, too.
NPH is extremely good looking. Some of it is just in the way he carries himself - very tall, very straight & confident.

It was interesting to see the mix of movie actors in with the television actors. 10-15 years ago, I don't think you would've seen so many movie actors in attendance, let alone be up for an award , like Glenn Close. Now, it's more accepted. And Tom Hanks & his wife, Rita, were there.

That opening skit they did with the reality show hosts was not very good at all. They could've done without that.