Sunday, November 23, 2008

Out Spotlight L

Today's Out Spotlight is Roland Emmerich.

Roland Emmerich (born November 10, 1955) is a German film director, writer, and producer, and created some of the biggest blockbusters in Hollywood history. He's worked with Will Smith, Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, and oh yes two guys you may have heard of Jake Gyllenhaal and Austin Nichols. Roland is a part of a small group of Hollywood players who are gay and out.

Born in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, in a middle class family, Roland decided not to go into the family business of garden machinery. As a teenager, he pursued painting and sculpting, but after watching the Irwin Allen productions of the early 1970s and Star Wars, he decided to turn his attention to filmmaking. He attended the Munich Film and Television School 1977 to 1981 studying production design but finding himself an accidental director, taking his thesis and turning into a full scale movie. The Noah's Ark Principle, went on to open the 1984 Berlin Film Festival. The feature became a huge success and was sold to more than 20 countries.

Hoping to tap into the American market, Emmerich began directing English-language supernatural fantasy features in his native Germany. Eventually, his science-fiction film Moon 44, went straight to video in the United States and featured Dean Devlin who subsequently switched jobs to become Emmerich's writing and producing partner once Emmerich set up shop in Hollywood.

Emmerich founded Centropolis Film Productions in 1985 with his sister Ute Emmerich, and later renamed it Centropolis Entertainment. Centropolis has recently teamed up with Mythic Entertainment and Electric Entertainment to foray into the online computer game market.

Catching the attention of producer Mario Kassar, he was invited to America to direct Isobar. Dean and Roland rewrite the script for Isobar but when Kassar want to use the initial screenplay Roland dropped out of the production Kassar then abandoned the project altogether.

Instead, Roland was hired to replace director Andrew Davis for the action movie Universal Soldier with Jean Claude Van Daam. After Universal Soldier his next project was the science-fiction film Stargate, an unexpected success that spawned the television shows Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

But Roland really hit his blockbuster stride with Independence Day. The alien invasion feature became the first film to gross $100 million in less than a week and went on to become one of the most successful films of all time. When you soar so high there are the lows and , the much-hyped Godzilla didn't fare well with the box office or the critics. Roland took a change of pace after Godzilla directing the American Revolutionary War movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson and Heath. After The Patriot Roland returned to his bread and butter and directed the visual effects-disaster spectacular - The Day After Tomorrow. Roland has gone on to make the prehistoric 10,000 B.C. and his newest 2012, a disaster movie with political implications coming out July 10,2009. 2012 has been dubbed by some The Day after Tomorrow 5 years later. (Funny, I picture a completely different story than what Roland is making ; ) )

"While Hollywood has embraced Roland Emmerich's action-packed, effect-laden style of epic story-telling, the director is less than enamored with its lifeblood, the film industry.

'I don't really like the movie business, I have to say. It's a very cold, brutal business. It's not a cozy living. But, on the other hand, I really like making movies," he says.

'I'm constantly torn between, should I keep going or not. And then I always want to make another movie and then I have to deal with it. But every time I come into a situation, I'm always talking about early retirement, which makes all my friends laugh out loud.'"

Roland not only talks the talk but walks the walk about many causes he feels passionately about.

In 2006, he pledged $150,000 to the Legacy Project, a campaign dedicated to gay and lesbian film preservation. Making the donation of behalf of Outfest, it was the largest gift in the festival's history.

“These images [from gay and lesbian films] have saved countless lives and shaped the LGBT communities we know today. The independent gay and lesbian films of the last 30 years have had no one to save, restore and protect them until now. I'm proud to play a part in launching the Legacy Project and encourage everyone to help save these precious, affirming images.” (Outfest Press Release, Jan. 23, 2006)

In 2007, on behalf of the LGBT community, he held a fundraiser at his Los Angeles home for Democratic Party presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

Roland's also been in favor of the campaign for stunt performers to receive recognition at the Academy Awards, and has worked to raise awareness over the issue of global warming.

Along with several other celebrities, he is a producer of The 1 Second Film, a non-profit project intended to raise money for women's rights in the developing world. (And you can be too, check out the link below.)

One thing you might not know, Roland sister Ute is married to some who is familiar in reality television in the U.S. Ute is married to furniture maker and carpenter Faber Deware, from the popular home decorating show "Trading Spaces" on The Learning Channel. (TLC)



"There's not really much destruction in New York besides the weather and it's a natural force so it's not like any destruction. But LA gets leveled (laughs). That's my comment to Hollywood. "


"In every movie I say: How can I slip something in?"

Roland Emmerich - Accidental Director

Check out the video of his home and beautiful garden. You might see something familiar.


The Outfest Legacy Project



Fundraiser for Hillary Clinton on behalf of the LGTB community


Powerful Gay Men in Hollywood

1 Second Film
"The film's animation only lasts one second, but the credits will last over an hour! A feature-length making of documentary will play during the credits. Our goal is to build a platform for global collaboration starting with the World's Biggest Shortest Film. To take part, simply donate $1 or more to add your name to our producer credits. Then create your profile, connect with our crew, and collaborate more. It's all for a great cause; support the arts and share a moment with the world!"

Centropolis Films

29 comments:

prairiegirl said...

Good morning, everyone! Morning, Special. Absolutely splendid Out Spotlight. I had no idea - I'm not very good at recognizing or remembering director/producer names whatsoever. These are so educational.

Thanks, Special & Wicked, for all your work on this blog. I think it might be taken for granted sometimes, but not intentionally. I mean, it's a real commitment to always be "around." When it's 1600 on Fridays, to post that Movie or JFC Discussion. To monitor any anonymous or too-hostile posted comments & zap them with the Bugzapper. To open up every day with a new post - heck, to come up with a new post everyday. How hard is that? To archive all this stuff. To come up with new music every single day. To post links. I know how darn hard it is to type a link and you do it several times a day!Ick! And the research you do on these Out Spotlights. Keeping an eye out for any Jake & Austin news in the media & posting it for all to see. So much, so much you do and it really is appreciated. Kudos, High Fives, and big hugs of appreciation to the both of you.

I gotta be quick. We're packing up and getting ready to go to Denny's. French Toast Slam is callin', lol.

I have the most fantastic picture of a deer in the woods that I caught on my camera. It came out so great! Now when I get home, if I can just figure out all the ins & outs of posting it.

Gotta get off; time to go. They're yelling at me. Everyone have a great Sunday! Lord willing, will check in later this afternoon when we get in. Ciao from the lake. :)

Florida Tom said...

I second that motion prairiegirl. OMG is a AWESOME. Great Out Spotlight today.

Special K said...

Have always thought there are greater forces that bring things together.

There was a reason that Roland was the director when Jake and Austin met. That the movie was such long shoot and not done in LA.

I have no doubt that Roland saw that what was happening and that it was something special.

Anonymous said...

Roland Emmerich is a very funny guy! Maybe because of his movies but I thought he woud be serious and humorless but in the CNN vid he's great. What he says about LA is 100% true all of it. I love the way he is. Confident, self-deprecating, and sharp witted. I don't remember the TDAT thing he has in his house, will have to see the movie again. Was it in the holder or by itself in the movie? Love his jungle Jurassic garden LOL, Thanks for his spotlight.

Ditto on what PG said about OMG. You guys are awesome!

destiny said...

Thanks for the spotlight. Despite TDAT I've never really read up on Roland.

I think he cast Austin in TDAT because he immediately saw the chemistry between them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Roland wasn't a bit taken with Austin's looks. If gossip on data lounge is to be believed, Roland and Bryan Singer are known for throwing parties together that are a mix of gay stars and beautiful boys.

Anonymous said...

Austin's not the only beautiful one, Jake is too.

Anonymous said...

They are both beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

I always forget that Roland directed The Patriot. It's so different from his other films. We are very lucky that he preserved the chemistry and love evident between Jake and Austin on film forever.

His home is beautiful. He obviously appreciates beauty - another reason Jake and Austin were in his film.

Prairie Girl is right. You guys are terrific. The highlight of my day, every day.

destiny said...

I love the Waitresses.

Anonymous said...

Video of Sir Ben Kingsley praising Jake in PoP.

"We have a wonderful fight, Jake and I, a vicious swordfight. The lovely quality that Jake brings to his role is confidence, he has a lovely, effortless confidence, which is perfect for the Prince, really perfect."

Special K said...

Thanks for all the great words today, appreciate it so much! But what is really appreciated more how you all come here and share with each other. That's what its all about.

Thanks again guys!

Clarity said...

Thanks for todays Spotlight Special and for making OMG such a special place : )

Anonymous said...

Variety FC review:

Four Christmases is "oddly misanthropic, occasionally amusing but thoroughly cheerless holiday attraction that is in no way a family film, but will no doubt be mistaken for such by many unsuspecting patrons".

"Vaughn is his usual motor-mouthed, preoccupied self, although less antic and vulgar and more polite and considerate than his norm. Breaking type here is Witherspoon, who abandons her perky, upbeat image for the brittle, somewhat chilly piece of work that is Kate. With all the scripts doubtless at her doorstep in the wake of her "Walk the Line" triumph, it's a wonder she chose this one, which in no way relies upon her special talents and does her no particular favors."

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117939094.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&nid=2562

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post today. I love the out spotlights.

I think Reese is limiting her choices to movies where she can produce unless they are really Oscar caliber material. There are 27 producers on Four Christmases but she was given a lot of control. She is scrambling because Type A doesn't have any real financial backers anymore she lost her big studio deal and now she has a production company but very limited resources. Her problem is she thinks she is the only one who can do anything right so she can't delegate to save her life. You can't run a business like that.

prairiegirl said...

Good evening! tr, good to see you; haven't seen you in awhile. I thought 4 Christmas's would be a surebet hit at the box office, but now I'm not sure. There are some reviews out there already that aren't too whippy.

Well, we spent all day dinking around Osage Beach, revisiting places & we lost alot of time checking out. Before we knew it, it was about 3 or so when we were leaving. Good grief. Been unpacking, doing a load of laundry, and learning how to download pictures since I got back.

Speaking of which, lol!
Hey, somebody please check out my pictures or I'll feel bad. :)

If you click on my blogger name, my blogger profile will come up, then go down to the bottom and click on my blog. I have 4 pictures of the deer we saw near where we were staying. Then in the post after that is a couple of pictures of where we stayed. I couldn't get the pictures to go where I wanted them to, so they're kind of sloppily placed. And my friend says I can learn to crop the pictures and cut out excess stuff that I don't want, I guess like all the trees & leaves. But I don't know how to do that yet.
Take a peek & then come right back here to OMG. I'm just kinda excited about my new camera & this is the first time I've ever downloaded pictures & sent them somewhere. It is soooo cool.

Anonymous said...

I thought you said you spent all day drinking LOL.

I checked out your pictures they came out really good. Wild animals are so cool to see although the last deer I saw scared the crap out of me because it ran right across the street in front of my car. Connecticut is swarming with deer and I have friends there. It looks like you had a great weekend. I finally have some time off this week to chill.

I thought 4C was a sure thing too. Not so sure now. It is getting some bad buzz.

destiny said...

Hi TR, I've missed your commentary, interesting about the producing.

Hey PG, glad you had a good time. Those pictures are awesome, I love to vacation by the water, so it looks great. And I can't believe what you've done! I don't even have a profile, let alone any posts. I also don't recall seeing all those movies listed before. Meet Me in St. Louis caught my eye, I love that film.

prairiegirl said...

Hey, the trashcan's back! Boy, blogger sure is having problems lately.

Hey Destinyyyy! Hi! Thanks, tr & Destiny for indulging me. It's kind of exciting. I know, tr, what you mean. Deer are not cute when you're on a road and they leap out in front of you or something. They are powerful animals and can kill you or do tremendous damage to a car. But these 2 were just grazing & this one was just lying there, staring at us.

drinking! yeah, I wish. Nah, I said dinking, as in, uh, messing/goofing off. lol. It's a word I picked up from a truckdriver, once.
Well, shoot, it's time to go to bed already. Where does time go.

I'm sorry to have missed out on Shelter discussion. Here I have Netflix now and I've missed Shelter. Hopefully, the next round. Boy, that guy on the left is sure good looking. He's right in the bottom of my screen, very strategically placed, lol!

m, you sure called it the other day when you were talking about Reese not ever bringing up Jake's name in interviews. And then the big slip. Slip, my foot. She's too much.

You know, who knows what we're in for this coming week. Everything would seem to point to an onslaught on Reeke Live From London. But I'm not going to speculate (not if I want to avoid Special's rap on the knuckles with the ruler, lol). We'll see.

But, I'll tell you what. Holidays like Thanksgiving & Christmas are about family, are they not usually? And I know that it's not possible to always spend them with your immediate family. Sometimes finances, distance, other commitments, etc. keep one from spending the holidays with Mom or Dad, or brother, or sister. Or aunts, uncles, special close friends, whoever your family unit is. Now I don't know how filming is going around the holiday. Maybe they're going to shoot through it or something. But wouldn't you think that if they weren't, that Jake would feel drawn to his new immediate family (Austin & BabyT) or else his mom or sister? I mean, holidays like Thanksgiving/Hannukah/Christmas just call out for family get togethers. And he may be spending it in London with Reese instead? That would just spell all kinds of puzzlement from my end.

We'll see. Not going to speculate yet.

prairiegirl said...

Actually, they may not be filming after all, though, right? I just read today about the Screen Actors Guild is close to going on strike. Wouldn't this affect the filming of PoP? Boy, wouldn't that be something. Another big delay. Brother.

I don't even have a profile, let alone any posts.

I know, Destiny, that's what I've been buggin' you about! ;) You need to put something in there. That's how we learn about each other. Mine's not very interesting, but hey, we all can't be Queen Bee's, lol. Some of us have to be the worker ants.
This picture stuff is so cool. And it was so easy to transfer from my camera to the laptop. Then from my laptop onto my blog. Now if I can just figure out how to place the pictures. They're all cockeyed, lol.

Well, Destiny, my little friend, you just work on your profile, I issue you a challenge!! It's kind of fun, actually.

I think I'm going to turn in. Geez, it's after 10 already. What a great weekend. Water is indeed so restful. And it was moving pretty good. And even though it's kind of dirty looking lake water, that's kind of what makes it unique. And that fish smell. And the way the docks move when you walk across them. Love it down there.

See everybody in the morning!!!

Anonymous said...

After being subjected to the commericial one too many times this weekend, here's an opinion of Miss Witherspoon's holiday offering -

Any movie that relies on puking babies and uncouth relatives for humor is purile. Didn't we see that already in "Christmas Vaction" anyway?

Way to stretch your acting chops there, General. What's next, "Legally American Pie"?

Atticus said...

PG your pics look good. The deer looks fun. Did you chase each other around and playfight? Did you sniff his butt? I jealous. Hope the Brits let my Yankee Daddy come home for turkey. I need leftovers.

Anonymous said...

I never thought 4C was going to be a good movie, sounded lame from the beginning. Trailer did not make it look any better. I don't really care since these romcoms are no my cup of tea anyway. As for Reese, I am not sure in which direction her career is moving if any at all. She'll be the voice of an animated character, some sort of female hero ... not sure how that will go, I think she is miscast again,hope she won't kill that character as she did the one in Rendition. So all this big noise about how she is the most payed respected actress in HW but I wan to actually see something good otherwise it is all bs.

prairiegirl said...

LOL! I am running all kinds of behind. Why does today have to be Monday?

Atticus, throws arms around neck in a big hug, thanks for looking at my pictures. You're the best. I haven't gotten close enough to deer to sniff 'em. My zoom lens makes them look a little closer than they really were. But they don't compare to you! Atticus, would you tell your daddy to come home?

Anonymous said...

Since Reese is supposed to be on the Jonathon Ross show in London on 11/27 we can be sure that Jake isn't going to fly to LA for Thanksgiving. I'm sure we'll be subjected to Reeke photo op overload so we can be distracted about her sucky movie opening. I would love to know what Jake's family thinks about all of this. I always thought that Naomi and Maggie were open minded, wouldn't care if Jake is gay or bi and would definitely be against bearding, but after almost 2yrs of Reeke, maybe his mother encourages him to keep doing it.

Clarity said...

Your pics came out great PG. I really like your blog page. It came out good for your first try. Your way to hard on yourself : )

Anonymous said...

Getting ready, it's Graham Norton, not Jonathan Ross.

BTW, there are no Thanksgiving holidays in UK.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the mistake. I know there are no holidays in the UK, but I would imagine that if Jake asked for the weekend off I'm sure he would have gotten it. The way I used to anticipate seeing Jake pics is now the same way I dread seeing Reeke pics.

Anonymous said...

what is the deal with all the get ready crap. why waste all this time she's not worth it who give a crap its all fake who cares

destiny said...

PoP is supposed to finish filming in early December, so I don't think they would give people time off for a holiday like Thanksgiving, particularly since it is not celebrated in the U.K.