Thursday, March 10, 2011

Primary Sources

It's not 8 minutes but over 24 hours till Source Code premieres kicking off SXSW.


Wired had a pre-SXSW interview with Duncan about Source Code. It gives a little more background about how he came to the project, working with Jake, and a maybe a future project. Check out the rest of the interview at Wired.


Wired.com: Source Code is an original script, which must have been a refreshing prospect given that most projects coming out of Hollywood seem to be a spinoff of some pre-existing franchise.

Jones: So many things now are based on comic books or TV shows or remakes of old films, so yeah, it was exciting to see an original piece of material. It was written by Ben Ripley, who then got Jake Gyllenhaal interested in it.

Wired.com: And Gyllenhaal in turn recruited you, because of Moon?

Jones: When Jake came to see me, we hadn’t made our money back on Moon, we hadn’t won any awards, I was still a young independent filmmaker scratching out a living trying to work out how I was going to get my next film made. When we met up I wanted to discuss a project of my own with him, and he said, “That sounds fascinating but I’ve got a project here that I’d like you to direct.” Source Code was an opportunity to show what I could do with a big-name star on a bigger budget. Jake was excited visually by Moon and by what Sam [Rockwell] was doing in it. He wanted me to do the same thing on Source Code.


Wired.com: Sam Rockwell is usually perceived as a quirky character actor, whereas Gyllenhaal generally plays a mainstream leading man. Did you want to play up that distinction in Source Code?

Jones: Jake’s a smart cookie and he’s funny, which is one thing I immediately talked to him about. As written, the Source Code script is quite serious and dry. I wanted to inject a little humor and quirkiness into the film. As well, Jake’s got that Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford thing happening in Source Code, which I’m very excited about.

...

Wired.com: You talked about initially wanting to pitch Gyllenhaal a movie that you’d written yourself, but for this project you’re working basically as a Hollywood director for hire. What’s that adjustment been like for you?

Jones: This is a tricky one. Moon was obviously a huge labor of love for me and the people who worked on it. We also have other projects that we care with equal passion about getting made. Hopefully, audience likes this movie enough that I’ll get an opportunity to make some more of my own films and then go back and forth between working on other people’s projects and doing things that are real labors of love.

...

Wired.com: And Sam Rockwell — you have him on speed-dial?

Jones: Absolutely. If I get to do another one and it’s mine, I will by hook or by crook get Sam in there somehow. I also think I made a good deal with Jake: When the time is right hopefully he’ll help me out on one of my films.



Duncan embraces Sci-fiction and technology in his movies, so why shouldn't the promotion of Source Code reflect that. As you have read Source Code posters are coded so that you can download the Source Code Mission to help gather clues for Colter Steven.

You earn badges for each task completed and when you have complete all 5 tasks, your profile image becomes part of the animated movie poster on Source Code website.

Can't find a poster. You can go to the mission website and do via facebook.



One more TV Spot



Since Duncan is doing Austin tomorrow thought turnabout is fair play. An Austin band doing Bowie.

20 comments:

Seaweed said...

The more I hear and see about Source Code the better it looks! There is some excitement in watching all this, and then seeing the interviews and material that you are uncovering for your blog posts Special.

Enjoyed your lyrics from yesterday PG and just may get out my DVD of The Day After Tomorrow and have a screening to remember those special first days Jake and Austin shared in the lengthy production of the Movie in Montreal. Kind of provides a nice warm fuzzy feeling... and so sorry it gives some folks Gas. cough*Jak*cough.

Music Lover said...

Duncan is adorable, isn't he. Love that first pic of him. Looking forward to SC too, and always love TDAT. :)

destiny said...

This is one of my favorite rock songs, but not sure what I think of this version. It's interesting, but I think the guitar work in the original is what makes the song so great.

I have high hopes for SC too.

Florida Tom said...

Wow Duncan is a cutie. Bet Jake enjoyed working with him.


Betcha Austin is at the premiere this weekend and I bet we start getting him tweeted any place on earth but there.

why would he be there? said...

Betcha he isn't and I betcha we don't.

Seaweed said...

Time will tell now won't it.

I'm with you Tom, these two guys are just a bit too inclined to be in each others company whenever they can.... and who'd blame them with a few sprogs nearby with the Grands?

AUS10 said...

BP announces a theme park celebrating their miraculous success at cleaning up the oil. about 5 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

There will be a loggers splashdown, except instead of water, patrons get covered in oil. about 5 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

A marine life show, where Shamu and friends do flips thru oil. about 5 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

I can't wait to pay admission. $1000 about 5 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Did you know that I am the long lost Sheen brother? Austin Sheen. about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Or... Austin Estevez about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Special K said...

This is one of my favorite rock songs, but not sure what I think of this version. It's interesting, but I think the guitar work in the original is what makes the song so great.

My favorite Gourd's cover is Snoop Dogg's Gin and Juice. You gotta take a listen.

Gin and Juice

Special K said...

Austin Sheen sounds like curl relaxer that Austin would leave in his hair too long. ; )

Special K said...

Looks like Jake got into Austin a little earlier. I'm sure he can find something to do keep him busy until tomorrow's premiere.

Jennifer de Haro
Just saw Jake Gyllenhaal at the Austin airport.. Too bad we didn't get a chance to talk so I could convince him we are soul mates about 3 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

AUS10 said...

RTsensatlandsend This Rick Nash bobblehead is the spitting image of @AUS10NICHOLS. It's a bit weird. http://twitpic.com/48ahv9
about 3 hours ago via web Retweeted by AUS10NICHOLS and 5 others

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
prairiegirl said...

Wake up, m's!!! Tsunami Watch for Alaska, Washington coast and mid to upper California.

Incredible video is streaming in from Japan where they had an 8.9 magnitude earthquake. Stephanie Abrams said it was the 5th biggest earthquake since 1900.

My thoughts go out to the people of Japan as I watched some of the video inside office buildings as it was happening; ceiling tiles collapsing and you should have seen everything shaking back & forth. People huddled together. It's like - where do you go in one of those things? When everything around you is shaking and vibrating like that?

Just incredible video of the ocean washing ashore over a city in Japan - it was like something out of The Day After Tomorrow, I'm not kidding.

But it's because of this huge earthquake that Hawaii is under a tsunami warning and then the western coast of the U.S. is under a watch.

prairiegirl said...

I have a cousin who lives in Hawaii with his family and I'm going to have to check with my Vegas aunt & cousin to see how he's doing. They were showing people in Hawaii in line at the gas station as they were evacuating. I'm not sure which island he is on.

This earthquake is a major one; they said on the weather channel that several natural gas refineries were damaged and from video they're showing, entire skyscrapers are blowing black smoke like crazy, looking eerily like 9/11 all over again.

Oh-oh, now Stephanie is saying there could be 19 countries affected by the tsunami's, including the Antarctic. This guy was on TV explaining how earthquakes cause tsunami's because of the disruption to the ocean floor. They were showing gaps in the Japan highways and they were HUGE.

Our poor little sea life.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan. Hopes for peace, calm thoughts and actions for those in Hawaii.

prairiegirl said...

CNN is calling it a massive earthquake.
Well, I know I'll be sneaking onto my computer all day long today.

Special K said...

Thinking of friends in Japan and along the West Coast.

Watching the news and seeing the pictures of the earthquake and now the potential tsunami. It's so easy to forget the incredible power of nature until things like this remind us.

Methodical Muser said...

An inundating wave is possible but thus far California is in a holding pattern based on what happens in Hawaii. First waves expected just after 8:00 a.m., but thus far waves are only predicted at 2-3 feet. There's a standard vertical evacuation going on in some places in California and in Hawaii, but thus far it doesn't look too bad. Probably more concerned about surging waves rather than the height of the waves.

Thanks for the good wishes, PG.

jared said...

Jake on Men's Journal

Jake Gyllenhaal is the cover guy for Men’s Journal magazine’s April 2011 issue, on newsstands Friday (March 11)!

The 30-year-old Source Code actor talked about his fitness routines, from biking to barefoot running!

“I’ve had to teach myself to slow down a bit. Because I get so into it, it becomes a real addiction. But it’s like a New Year’s resolution - to sit down and read a book. Life’s not a bike ride. I wouldn’t say exercise less, but sit with myself,” Jake shared.

“It’s not: ‘I’m having a s—-y day and I’m going to go for a run,’ but ‘I’m having a shitty day and I’m going for a run and I’m going to try to work out what’s going on.’ Not just get my serotonin levels up and feel good. I’m going to think about things. And the only way you can do that is to slow the pace down,” Jake added.

For more from Jake, visit MensJournal.com!

Just Jared

AUS10 said...

Hey everybody. Text - redcross - to 90999. And $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill. Let's support those families in #Japan.
26 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

the real m said...

I've had the TV on this AM while getting ready for work. That tsunami footage is incredible. So far CA seems to be OK, but you never know as aftershocks could set off a big wave. The quake reminded me of the 89 one in CA. It went on for a long time like that as well. An indescribable feeling, the earth moving under you. Your brain cant really process it, as ground is supposed to be solid.