Sunday, May 8, 2011

Out Spotlight

Today's Out Spotlight is different kind of coming out story. This time by a mom who when she did, made a difference. A self described “accidental activist", today's Out Spotlight is Linda Stay.

Listen in her own words, about finding out her son, Tyler, was gay.



Linda knew that Tyler was exactly as he had been created to be. But growing up as a 5th generation Mormon,she knew the LDS church had a very different view on homosexuality, but she didn’t feel a need to choose between the two. She left it up to God.

When Linda met her second husband Steve, they had 89 years of active LDS church membership between them. One of the first conversations they had when considering blending their family of 9 kids was Linda sharing, “I have a gay son and I’m okay with it, which freaks a lot of people out”. Steve told her was cool with it if she was, and six weeks later they were married.

A short time later Linda and Steve discovered they were blessed with a second gay child, as Linda's daughter Amanda came out to her mom. As Linda tells it, "Thankfully, this time it was not a surprise, and certainly not a struggle to deal with, only a blessing that I could be close to both my gay children and cherish them, as with my other children, for the unique individuals they are."

A mom is always a mom and it is no different for Linda. "It is every Mormon mother’s dream for her child to marry a “Returned Missionary” and Tyler did just that on June 17, 2008 in San Francisco." Tyler and his boyfriend of six years, got up early the first day that same sex couples were legally allowed to wed in the State of California hoping they could get in to get a license. Not only did they get the license, they were married that day at the courthouse, and their story was shared with the world. A year later they celebrated in ceremony in front of their family and friends.

What Linda didn't realize how that moment would drastically change her life, and not just because she was going to be a mother-in-law. "Soon after, the Mormon Church made the call to its members to donate ALL of their time and means for the passage of Proposition 8. I was shocked and sickened as I watched the church insert their power and money to fund a propaganda campaign full of misinformation and fear, using their members’ devotion to obedience. I was heartbroken to find that my brothers donated thousands of dollars to the 'Yes on 8' campaign. Though they agreed that this was a civil rights issue, their response to my pleas was, 'The thinking has been done. I have to follow the prophet on this one.'” The members of the LDS church financed as much as 71% of the monetary contributions used to fund Prop 8 and provided 90% of its volunteers.

That following October, Linda, her husband Steve, with their other son Jeff and his wife Bonnie, drove to Salt Lake City to be part of a small group delivering petitions and letters pleading to stop this blatant anti-gay agenda by the LDS church, which was tearing families apart.

"We pulled up to the corner; saw the TV news cameras and media of every sort, our hearts were pounding, knees shaking. With tears in my eyes, I turned to my husband, 'Are we ready for this?' We were naive not to realize that wearing posters, 'Proud of our Gay Kids,' that of course the cameras would beeline for us."

That moment they refer to this as their coming out. And on national news. "We could not stay silent any longer and watch the church of which we once held as the ultimate light of truth, draw a line in the sand that forced parents to choose their child or the prophet. For me the choice was clear. I became 'an accidental activist' that day. I vowed that I would stand up and be the voice for all the mothers of faith who feel conflicted and silenced by their churches."

They resigned from the LDS church and in doing so, they were alienated by the church, meaning losing their parents, siblings, children, friends, and business associates. They were portrayed as bashing the church by being vocal against its practices on Prop 8.

Linda and her husband, Steve went on to form Moms for Equality : Dads for Equality – Standing Up, Speaking Out. They are encouraging parents to “come out” and be vocal on behalf their children’s rights.

As people gathered in my small town of St. George, Utah this past week for a rally celebrating the Prop 8 court decision, I was sadly reminded that not many parents stand as firmly by their children. In fact, my husband Steve and I were the only parents in the group of almost 100 people! Thinking back on this, I cannot help asking: “Why? Where are you, parents?” As long as you stay hidden, you leave your children standing alone. If you believe, as I do, that all our children deserve fairness and equal rights, then I beg you to have the courage of your children and show yourselves, your love, and your support.

"Parents who refuse to embrace this part of their child, or choose to ignore it, miss a beautiful world of amazing people full of goodness and love. I know it is not easy. As I have stepped into the rainbow light these past two years, many have rejected me — including family members, business associates, and friends. However, the many new people that have come into my life and encircled me with their love have filled that gap one hundred fold!"

Tyler and Spencer, and Linda and her family's story are a part of the documentary 8: The Mormon Proposition, which premiered at the 2010 Sundance film festival.

"My hope is that in time, love will prevail in honoring and establishing equal rights for ALL."


Coverage of Spencer and Tyler's marriage at San Francisco City Hall.


Spencer and Tyler's wedding celebration with family and friends

Spencer, Tyler and Linda and talking about their story being part of 8: The Mormon Proposition, at Sundance
Starts at 3:25

Momsforequality.com

Happy Mother's Day to all moms
and
all who nurture and care
shaped by the mothers, grandmothers,
and women who were a part of our lives

47 comments:

AUS10 said...

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mothers out there in the world. We would be nothing without you.
1 hour ago

Special K said...

Jake got raw yesterday:

Raw food that is. There was a raw food demo at Erewhon, the organic grocery were Jake has been seen shopping.

This from ChefBeLive who gave the demo:

My Erewhon appearance yesterday was OFF THE CHARTS! It was so cool to see all the amazing peeps come out. I hooked up Jake Gyllenhaal with my pizza, he loved it!

Special K said...

The Lakers got swept by the Mavericks. The Lakers scored 86 points total, and the Mavs BENCH (not their starters) scored 84 points, beating them
122 to 86.

As a Celtics fan - nothing better.

But the Lakers players' behavior was a disgrace to the game and to their coach Phil Jackson, who looks like he coached the final game of his career. There is no place for that in professional sports and it's shame that Jackson had to go out that way.

eonline said...

Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code was out of the Top 10 after five weekends of struggle. The $32 million drama eked past $50 million domestically, and, per Box Office Mojo, was at about $91 million worldwide.

more coffee said...

Canada Gordon: My cousin and I just went to Intelligentsia for coffee in Venice. We gave up our seats to Jake Gyllenhaal and his mom when we were done.

Facebook
an hour ago

Music Lover said...

What a great Spotlight - I wish relgious organizations would get the message. Your child comes first, and they are perfect just the way they were made.

Happy Mother's Day!

the real m said...

What a lovely story. And hearing the happiness and raw emotion from the mother viewing all those photos of her son's marriage was wonderful. A great post for mother's day.

destiny said...

Ditto on the great post for Mother's Day. I've been meaning to see this movie too.

prairiegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prairiegirl said...

I wish relgious organizations would get the message.

Once again, I always have to stick up for "religious" organizations, spiritual organizations, whatever you want to call them.

Let's remember that not all followers of Christ think as some of the Mormons do. And let us remember there are Mormons like Steve Young who go against the grain. You better believe there are followers of Christ in all religions who do not follow 100% their church's doctrine. Just because there are creeds, oaths and "rules", does not mean that members believe all of them or follow all of them.

The pastor of my old church, which is a traditional Methodist church in all the sense believes that gay people are born with their sexual tendencies and do not "choose" them. He stated his belief in one of our Sunday School classes.

It gets tiresome seeing organized religion, spirituality and individual followers of Christ frequently taking this generalized knock. Just like everything else in life, there are always bad apples who reflect badly on an entire group.

There are a lot, a lot of good, good people out there who just happen to go to church, lol.

prairiegirl said...

**sigh**.

Well, it was quite the day. It's always entertaining when you drive your mom & one or more of her siblings around. LOL!! Especially my Osceola Cheese aunt. She's a stitch.

And now one of the smoke alarms is chirping and it is driving me nuts!! Don't have a ladder tall enough to reach it; well, I do but it's out in the garage and I can't get to it anyway out there without it being a big ordeal.

prairiegirl said...

Forgot to mention that I love this song. Love it. Maxwell sings a good version of it, too.

It's beautiful.

prairiegirl said...

Good for Linda and her husband - truly an inspiring story, Special. It must have been heart wrenching but it also sounds like they were blessed twofold and they still have their family.

Methodical Muser said...

Excellent Spotlight, Special. Coming out is not just about those who are gay, but those around them who openly acknowledge and support their gay children, friends, colleagues, sons, daughters, etc.

Jake is constantly talking about how fortunate he is to have such a "supportive" family, but helping someone publicly lie, deceive and push heterosexuality as the only legitmate lifestyle for an A-list actor to enjoy is not what I call supportive or encouraging. Sometimes being constructively ill-disposed and compassionately disapproving of actions that are self-centered and grounded in ignorance and the perpetuation of discrimination, is a good thing. Making accommodations and excuses for those who are trying to walk through the raindrops is neither helpful nor laudatory.

prairiegirl said...

awwwww, check out Adam today:

adamlambert Adam Lambert
MDAY BRUNCH with my Mom, my guy and @scarlettcherry, @leecherry and @riffcherry!

Methodical Muser said...

Happy Mother's Day to all the nurturers who have guided, enightened and patiently prodded us to be better human beings. Angels of mercy who have simply made the world a more nourishing place to be.

prairiegirl said...

That was followed by this, lol


@adamlambert Adam Lambert
(brunch went LOOOOONG- thank you bloody marys!)
55 minutes ago

Special K said...

I thought this was such a great story for Mother's Day, I just had to share it. And it wasn't just about her children coming out and how she responded, but how she talked about how she and her husband had their own coming out as supportive parents of their gay children.

I was taught that we were all created in God's image, and I believe that being is gay is something someone is, not chooses to be. So I conclude that it is part of God's design and not sinful behavior as others see it to be.

prairiegirl said...

Jake's face is hilarious in that picture with the kid with the wild hair.


Oh my DOG, 365 Days!!!!!!! They put up the latest chapter!!!!!! I LOVE that story. That is one story I will have to take time to read. Like tonight. Like maybe now.

Methodical Muser said...

Love Adam's humor and wicked candor. I'm convinced that Bloody Mary's were created to provide just-in-time ministrative sustenance for every kind of challenging occasion. I think it has something to do with survival of the fitness. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Boston is hyped on sports...Sox won over Twins today, Bruins in playoffs, not since 1992, Celts, as well making their way. Personally, met with Michael & Kitty Dukakis and Frankie Valli at Logan, all heading west :)

Adam makes me feel 21 again said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
prairiegirl said...

Hi EVtb!!! How are you? Sounds like quite a day you've had.
Hey, we'll see what happens when the Sox come play the Royals!!!! Go Blue!!! Go Royals and that awesome Chicago style dog.

lol. Almost as exciting as the next T shirt for T Shirt Tuesday is the prospect of having another one of those dogs. I already know what I'm having.

LOLLLL!!

prairiegirl said...

Adam twit pic'd a picture of him and his mom and he said:

Happy Mothers Day. Look- we're pouting the same. Must be where I get it from... Ha http://say.ly/mKTjnU
6 hours ago


I like the way he always says "Ha". LOl !

Anonymous said...

Guess I overstepped my bounds re: confidentiality. Need clarification on parameters on posts.

destiny said...

Hi E.V.

Jake is constantly talking about how fortunate he is to have such a "supportive" family, but helping someone publicly lie, deceive and push heterosexuality as the only legitmate lifestyle for an A-list actor to enjoy is not what I call supportive or encouraging. Sometimes being constructively ill-disposed and compassionately disapproving of actions that are self-centered and grounded in ignorance and the perpetuation of discrimination, is a good thing. Making accommodations and excuses for those who are trying to walk through the raindrops is neither helpful nor laudatory.

ITA M and M.

Love Adam's tweets, both sweet and funny.

destiny said...

Wow, Adam's picture with his mom has almost 500 comments.

prairiegirl said...

He has over a million followers. I cannot imagine. That's a ton!

tweet said...

@OTHquotes
_OTHQuotes Unknown. ™
.. what kind of boyfriend takes his guy roomate camping for the weekend ... ... Jake Gyllenhaal ... that's nice ...
3 hours ago

Music Lover said...

There are a lot, a lot of good, good people out there who just happen to go to church, lol.

Yes, I realize that - I wasn't referrring to them. But when there's a generalized "code of conduct" that a religious group promotes and teaches, it's harmful. And most of the followers believe what they are taught. When groups are actively taking part in promoting things such as Prop 8, it is harmful. There are those who don't, of course.

I was taught that we were all created in God's image, and I believe that being is gay is something someone is, not chooses to be. So I conclude that it is part of God's design and not sinful behavior as others see it to be.

This is exactly what I believe, and took from my religious upbringing. I don't know why others can't either.

JMO.

destiny said...

I've been having fun on DL today on the Matt Bomer thread. Someone over there has been digging up photos of his hubby Simon the past week or two (before then there weren't many).

They also dug up a very short video clip that shows Matt and Simon at a movie premiere for Megaminds fall, it is soooo adorable. Simon and Matt have matching glasses, and they're carrying balloons. It comes at the very end of the clip; and if you look about 2/3 of the way through you can see them walk in the background (from the waist down), and they have one of the kids with them.

Video

They also found a photo, apparently from the same event, of just Matt with his son. Photo of Matt and son

There's also a couple of pictures of Simon sitting next to Matt with other people from White Collar, apparently watching an episode of White Collar.

destiny said...

Also, didn't mention it, but I went to the up front for USA Network last Monday to see the red carpet. Unfortunately the official red carpet for the advertisers was inside a tent, but there was a small area for fans to stand and watch the stars arrive by car and head up a walkway to the tent. I was 4 or 5 people deep back, so had trouble seeing people when they'd get out of the cars. and not, I didn't get any good photos. Anyway Matt was one of the first to arrive, and his hubby Simon came in the same car with him. I'm sure Simon was there to help with the PR since this was a big deal for USA, their first up front, and Matt was the only one who arrived with someone like that.

The reason I mention all this is partly because I can't believe Austin is sitting there deleting tweets about pink hats when Bomer is running around with his husband and kids.

Anonymous said...

Wow! My post appeared, then was deleted by administrator, and then reappeared. This is too creepy for me. OMG will survive w/o me, and vice-versa.

Special K said...

Hey EV

That wasn't me deleting stuff from blogger, the spam filter sometimes tags stuff that isn't.

Please don't think I would do that to you.

And yes GO Boston!

destiny said...

Sorry for running on tonight, lots to catch up on.

TV By the Numbers now was OTH on the bubble watch--meaning it is 50-50 whether it gets renewed, previously they were giving it good odds. Why the change?

Probably because the ratings keep plummeting. The episode this week was watched by 1.2 million people, Austin's directing episode was 1.4 million. At the start of the year it was being watched by about 1.9 million people.

No wonder OTH sprung for those pricey court-side seats for Mr. and Mrs. Soapy.

Seaweed said...

Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful women out there who give so much of themselves in every way for their kids, natural or adopted; for their kids friends and neighbours.

Special, this was a spectaular story for your Out Spotlight today, thanks as always for your efforts.

Special K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Special K said...

EV you talking about seeing Dukakis, I was on the Green Line one morning several years ago, and I looked up and there was Dukakis reading the paper on his way to teach a class at Northeastern. Hey he always said he used public transportation.

prairiegirl said...

EV, Blogger has been acting weird for me all weekend.

One time I was working on a comment and when I wouldn't even have my fingers on the keys, little symbols would "appear" either at the end or beginning of my comment. Little asterisks, pound signs, whatnot. It was very creepy.

prairiegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Special K said...

Completely forgot to post this and wanted to get in before Mother's Day is officially over.

Here's Jake as part of video for IVillage about advice from Mom.

Stars Share Moms' Advice

prairiegirl said...

Phew, I get tired of myself sometimes.
LOL.

Me, the queen of comment takedowns; been there 1000 times already.

I need to watch that video now.

prairiegirl said...

Awwwww, don't you just love people talking about their moms?

Russell Brand kills me. "Russell, don't touch that!" LOLLL!! I could just listen to him talk all day; love that accent.

And wow, who was that guy with Kate Hudson?

NOW I know what Jake's face reminds me of in that picture with the Oscar winner kid. LOLLLL!!! I keep looking at his face and I knew I'd seen that expression before. LOLLLL! This kills me. It kills me.

There's a scene in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, when those 2 idiots Marv & Harry, the robbers, they're in the McAlister Uncle's abandoned house and Kevin is standing at the top of these stairs. He lets go of this big red metal tool cabinet and it goes bounce, bounce, bouncing down a flight of stairs and crashes into a door. On the other side is those 2 idiots and it plunges them against another wall and both of those idiots but Marv in particular have these smashed & twisted faces. That scene kills me every time I see it.

That's who Jake looks like there. LOLLL! I love that movie.

Hey, kept seeing on twitter last night that TDAT was on.

prairiegirl said...

Hey, I saw on JJ that ol' Reesey broke her leg. She's got not only a full boot on but a cast. Kinda feel for her on that one. That means she can't take that thing off even to sleep or shower - that is the pits. I wonder what she did.

A super in Quality he broke some metatarsal bones in his foot and he has a short boot right now. I had boot envy when I saw that little thing. Still heavy but not like lugging around that calf high thing I had.

destiny said...

I'll be sorry when you change the music today Special, love Kate Bush.

prairiegirl said...

This song has been used in two shows/movies that I know of. It was in some movie with Kevin Bacon about a young married couple and then it was used in Party of Five in a scene with Scott Wolf and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Bit of useless, incomplete trivia for you, Dest. LOL

the real m said...

An update to 365 days after almost 7 months? That must be a new record. I have to start over and reread that one from the beginning. Hopefully it wont be another 7 months to the next chapter. They are good writers so I guess its all right.

Naomi looks good in the new pics of her with Jake, but what is with that huge purse she is carrying. It does not even match her outfit. But then I should talk. I hate to change purses too.