Sunday, May 22, 2011

Out Spotlight

Today's Out Spotlight is a successful jazz musician who feared coming out would end his career, but found when he did it was the exact opposite. Today's Out Spotlight is jazz saxophonist Dave Koz.

Dave Koz was born on March 27, 1963 in Encino, California. He discovered his love of the saxophone in 7th grade. His saxophone became his best friend. Attending William Howard Taft High School in Woodland Hills, CA, he was as a member of the school jazz band. He went on to attend UCLA graduating with a degree in mass communications in 1986. Just weeks after graduation, he decided to try and make it as a professional musician. Within weeks he was hired as a member of Bobby Caldwell's tour. For the rest of the decade, he worked as a session musician for several musicians and tours, including Jeff Lorber and Richard Marx. He was also in the house band for the short-lived The Pat Sajak Show.

Because they look and sound similar, Koz is often compared to and mistaken for another well-known saxophonist, David Sanborn, and sometimes he has been billed as "the second coming of Sanborn."

In 1990, he began to pursue a solo career, and started recording for Capitol Records where he did made 3 albums His album Saxophonic was nominated for both a Grammy Award and an NAACP Image Award.

In 1994, he began hosting a syndicated radio program, The Dave Koz Radio Show (formerly Personal Notes), featuring the latest music and interviews with who's who in jazz. He also co-hosted of The Dave Koz Morning Show With Pat Prescott on 94.7 The Wave, a smooth jazz station in LA for six years. He moved on in January 2007 and was replaced by Brian McKnight.

In 2002, Koz started a record label, Rendezvous Entertainment, with Frank Cody and Hyman Katz.

Knowing he was gay since he was a teenager, Koz found the courage to come out to his family and friends after several "This Thanksgivings I will" as he says. Out to his family and friends, there was just on part of his life he was not out. His professional life. Koz feared that coming out would end his career as a jazz musician.

In an April 2004 interview with The Advocate, Koz came out publicly as a gay man. Just months later, he was named by People magazine as one of their "50 Hottest Bachelors" in their June issue.

When he came out he instantly expanded his already large fan base and shattered a lot of myths about gay men and music.
Looking back on his interview with the Advocate, he said, "I think everyone makes that leap at the right time in their own lives—there is no absolute rule, and thus I tend to shy away from giving anyone else advice on how to do this. In my own experience however, I never had a master plan to come out…that moment shocked me when it came—I sort of knew it instinctively and I said to myself, “It’s time”. Up until that point it was something I was either too worried, or too freaked out to do. I wasn’t willing to risk it…but then something surprising happened.

I was doing an interview for another gay publication—and the interviewer initially said it was just to speak on the music, no personal questions. His editors had a different agenda and he came back to me saying that in order for the article to run I would have to address my sexuality. Well, I noticed the way this information made me feel…and for the first time ever, it didn’t scare the &*%# out of me! I went to my managers with the idea of coming out—they were super supportive, having helped Melissa Etheridge along her journey. But they said if you’re going to do it, do it with The Advocate. And that’s exactly what happened—a few months later, just about in sync with my turning 40, it was done. This little piece of information that I’d been guarding so preciously all my adult life was finally out there for the world to see. Of course at the time I was freaking out…but I haven’t looked back since. By far, the very best thing I’ve ever done for myself. "

In 2006, he was selected to host a syndicated afternoon show for Broadcast Architecture's new Smooth Jazz Network. The show, based in LA, it is broadcast on Smooth Jazz stations across the country. Koz and Ramsey Lewis are the only two Smooth Jazz personalities to host two different syndicated shows during the week.

Since 2005 he has hosted the annual Dave Koz & Friends Jazz Cruises.

He is also the host of a weekly half-hour television series named Frequency put on by Fast Focus. The show is interviews with musicians such as Earth, Wind & Fire, Jonathan Butler, and Kelly Sweet and then Koz performing with the guests on their best known hits.

A busy performer with recording, touring, and shows, he also was the bandleader on The Emeril Lagasse Show.

For the past 15 years, Dave has served as Global Ambassador for The Starlight Children's Foundation, an organization dedicated to making a difference for seriously ill children. In 2006, he was awarded the Humanitarian Of The Year Award from Starlight and for the past five years, Dave and his fans have helped Starlight deliver cuddly bears to hospitalized children during the holidays.

On September 22, 2009, Koz received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The same year he celebrate 20 years with Columbia records. He's not the first out performer to receive a star, but finding another example among the 2,000 plus recipients is like a needle-haystack.

In October 2010, Koz performed "Start All Over Again" on a episode of Desperate Housewives alongside singer Dana Glover.“Start All Over Again” offers hope in the face of adversity. As Koz points out, “The message isn’t new, but it’s one that we all need to hear in one way or another. “No matter how bad things might be, if you’re still alive, if you’re still breathing, there’s still the opportunity for you to start over again and do whatever you want with your life. That’s the situation a lot of people are in right now. They’re being forced to pull up their bootstraps and figure out a way to move forward into uncharted territory.”

Koz took part in Dan Savage It Get's Better Project. He revealed how his music got him through the struggles of growing up gay and how coming out changed his life and career.

He also launched his own line of wines, with Whole Foods and auditioned for a “big TV show” that sounded a lot like Dancing With the Stars. And wound up on Bravo's Millionaire Matchmaker when his brother was looking to meet his match. But he's not ready to put his dating go reality show.

After 7 years after coming out and being named one of People magazine's Most Eligible Bachelors, he's still single, but looking for that right guy.



Dave Koz official site.

32 comments:

destiny said...

Sad that someone in a field like jazz felt so much pressure to stay in, I can't believe many people would care. Interesting that People put him on the bachelor list, I didn't realize they had done that with gay performers that long ago.

That list of top romantic films is kind of odd, don't know how much of an honor it is to be at the top of a list of "scandalous" films.

prairiegirl said...

Wow, I didn't know about Dave Koz. I had an album of his, think it was his first one maybe. Go figure!

He's a great looking guy - great life story. I hope he finds the guy of his dreams.

Yale Daily News said...

Among today's numerous celebrity sightings, Jake Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard were both spotted in Branford after Class Day. #yale11
1 hour ago via web

prairiegirl said...

Special, JJ says Lady Antebellum walked the red carpet of the Billboard Music Awards. Maybe they're going to sing?

Special K said...

Joan Didion and Martin Scorsese received degrees at Yale today.

That reminded me of an interview Jake did with Harper's Bazaar when he mention reading Didion's book "The Year of Magical Thinking" and how it gave him insights on grief, saying he had experience losing some friends.

That interview was done around the time when BBM came out.

Special K said...

Special, JJ says Lady Antebellum walked the red carpet of the Billboard Music Awards. Maybe they're going to sing?

Wouldn't surprise me PG. They have been on the top of both pop and country charts over the past year.

prairiegirl said...

You know, I'm sorry but whatever happened to artists just going up on stage and either presenting or accepting.

Sunglasses inside, names on microphones like we don't now who they are, shouting of one's own name up on stage which to me seems the equivalent of doin the Worm in the end zone.

And whatever happened to "Let's hear it for". When people say "Give it up for", my question is What am I supposed to be giving up?

My applause? Is my applause supposed to be reluctant and therefore it's a chore to give it up for an artist?


Seriously.


Today's new crop may put out some good tunes but man, these new trends are really annoying.

Thank goodness for singers like Keith Urban who just wear denim & a T shirt and look hot as h***. Man, that guy is still hot.

prairiegirl said...

And where is my man Enrique?????

Ol' Berber Carpet (the Biebs) is still but a pup, but I'll tell you what. In another 5-7 years, he is going to be one very good looking young man.

prairiegirl said...

^^ much as I hate to say about the Biebs.

Thank goodness my niece doesn't care for him. I couldn't be more relieved.

Florida Tom said...

destiny said...
Sad that someone in a field like jazz felt so much pressure to stay in, I can't believe many people would care. Interesting that People put him on the bachelor list, I didn't realize they had done that with gay performers that long ago.

That list of top romantic films is kind of odd, don't know how much of an honor it is to be at the top of a list of "scandalous" films.



Yes some scandalous films but good ones. Brokeback is aging well. It will always be known as a groundbreaking movie. The most scandalous thing about Brokeback is that the people who work in Hollywood and vote in the Academy scandously stole the best Oscar Award from the movie becuase of hatred. Jake has sold out to those same folks.

I still think enough with the tweets already. How many times do we have to hear where Jake is. I can't wait till the very silly era of tweeting comes to an end. One of the most annoying things to ever hit the internet. Like watching the same commericals over and over again.

prairiegirl said...

Kudos to Britney Spears for her comeback. That girl has been around the world and to come back and have a hit again after all she's gone through is pretty admirable.

So it looks like this Will.e.iam guy is from Black Eyed peas? I find the acrylic plastic hair hat thing rather, uh...intriguing. lol

Love Lady Gaga's new song, Edge of Glory. Her outfits just crack me up although I haven't seen her on these Billboards yet.

prairiegirl said...

((((Tom)))

lol, I'm contributing to your misery, buddy!!! Please forgive me. I have crossed over to the dark side.

lol


But I kind of like the Twitter!!!!

Special K said...

Comedian Lisa Lampanelli found a way to turn the hate from Westboro Baptist Church into something for good.


Westboro Baptist Church Raises $50K for Gay Rights

They didn't mean to, but finally the hate mongers of Westboro Baptist Church made a positive contribution to humankind. Because of them, $50,000 will be donated to the Gay Men's Health Crisis.

Comedian Lisa Lampanelli is donating the sum in the church's name (ha!) -- $1,000 for each WBC member who showed up (in protest, of course) to her show Friday night in Topeka, Kansas, home of the WBC. She promised to do so last week via Twitter: "Hey guys! For every WBC protester who shows, $1,000 donation will be made in their name to the Gay Men's Health Crisis! Making lemonade . ."

While the original attendance reported was 48, she decided to round up. "Ends up it's $50,000. The inbreds said 48 showed up, so I made it an even 50."


Here's the article and the video that accompanies it.
Lampanelli vs WBC

destiny said...

I missed Britney and Rihanna. I really liked the song Keith Urban did, and have not paid him much attention as a musician before now.

Bieber and Selena Gomez make a cute couple, and so far he's aging nicely. I'm still disappointed we never got that double date with Swyll, LOL.

And speaking of LOLLLLL, Special, have you seen the Dlisted post on Tom Brady going Weeeeee!!!

Special K said...

Yes I have seen Tommy and the big slide.

prairiegirl said...

Special, Neil Diamond is singing your song!!!!

Sweeeeet Caroline!

prairiegirl said...

Boy, Neil Diamond looks pretty darn good, although a little slow going up and down those stairs, lol. But he sounds great! Now there's a legendary musician.

Yeah, Dest, I would've gotten a kick out of seeing that big double date that never happened. LOL!!

Britney Spears looked great. Good for her. Rhianna looked great, too. Loved her white pantsuit.

And wow, Selena Gomez's black dress was a real stunner.

destiny said...

Nice article on gays in sports from the New York Daily News.

Sports Appear Finally Ready to Welcome Gay Athletes in the Locker Room

destiny said...

I liked the pantsuit and Gomez's dress too, sexy and yet not inappropriate for her age.

You know, I usually like long hair on men, but Brady really needs to lose his. LOL, that post on Dlisted is still cracking me up.

Special K said...

I have sent the Dlisted link about Tommy to a few friends around here, I must say.

And believe me I think everybody up here wants Tommy to cut his hair too.

the real m said...

Here I am missing an entire day again, but catching up while I should be asleep. I'm a big fan of Dave Coz. Had no idea he was gay but then again I never gave it any thought.

I 'm with you PG. I'm hooked on twitter too. Just reading them of course, not sending any.

Did anyone catch SNL? The skit about it's not gay if it's a 3 way was pretty funny. Timberlake seems to shine in that format.

prairiegirl said...

Yeah, I'm hooked.

But after doing some thinking this morning, I have resolved out of respect to my buddy Tom that I will not post any more twitters on OMG.

No mas. Maybe I'll just email any of interest to those interested.


And for something a lot more important than twitter, disbelief over the tornadoes yesterday to our Missouri neighbors in Joplin. Just terrible.

Special K said...

Got word from my brother that my sister in law's parents as well as her brother and his family survived the tornado in Joplin. The destruction is massive everything is gone.

destiny said...

Good news about your family Special. It's so awful how many natural disasters there have been this year.

M, I thought SNL was really good this week, Justin Timberlake is so good at this kind of stuff. Also enjoyed Lady Gaga in some of the skits. My favorite was the tea shop lady and JT in a beer bottle costumer and Gaga as a wine bottle.

PG, not sure, but I think Tom just doesn't like the twitters telling us where J & A are.

Special K said...

Twitter, Tumblr etc. are the newest ways to communicate and share information. Technology will continue to advance and change, but information is information.

It's the information that needs to be looked with the more critical eye than the delivery system.

I saw SNL too, I did like Liquorville sketch, and Justin and Gaga have good chemistry and timing.

JT shines in the format and shows he is really an entertainer all the way around.

The digital short with Adam is another SNL classic but don't know if it is the meme that D#@k in a Box was.

Another mystery woman said...

Jake's new "career" phase is to take advantage, every time he's in NY, to have a story floated about his fake hetero ways. Talk about defamation:


JAKE Gyllenhaal has a new lady love.

The actor — who has previously dated Taylor Swift and Reese Witherspoon — was spotted getting cozy with a mystery brunette at Henry Public in Cobble Hill on Saturday night.

Gyllenhaal and the woman, who was in her mid-20s, had drinks at the bar around 10:30 p.m, according to the New York Daily News.

“They weren’t overly flirty,” a source said, “but they were deep in conversation.”

Jake recently revealed his 30s will be a “decade of discovery”.

“I feel a little bit more seasoned now I am 30,” he said.

“The last decade was all about my career and it’s gone well. Someone very special to me wished me the present of discovery into my thirties and that was one of the nicest things someone has said to me.

“My 30s will be a decade of discovery — but I’m still waiting for it to start. I would hope it is discovery in lots of different aspects of my life.”

snl said...

Justin T is gayer than a box of flamingos.

Methodical Muser said...

Well, we know that "mystery woman" with Jake on Saturday night wasn't Mila or Olivia. Just insert new names into the press "release":

"The heartthrob [Justin Timberlake]has been romantically linked to both actresses since he split from Jessica Biel earlier this year. Justin has insisted he is just friends with Mila and Olivia and the trio let loose at the Saturday Night Live after-party to celebrate Justin appearing on the popular television show. The star was spotted laughing and joking with the beauties and even left the party with them."


Justin’s Looking for Another Beard

Special K said...

They also ran a similar story about JT and Mila and Olivia as the last item in the Daily News gossip column.

JT celebrates 'SNL' success

We hear the after-after-party for the "Saturday Night Live" season finale took place at the John Dory Oyster Bar at the Ace Hotel, where Justin Timberlake, Olivia Wilde, Mila Kunis and a number of "SNL" cast members grooved to the deejay stylings of The Roots' charismatic Questlove.


NY Daily News

Looks like both stories were run together for a reason.

It's interesting that Daily News ran Jakes' story in two place and more interesting that they placed the story about this 30th birthday and "someone very special" to wishing him the present of discovery.

And the quote says a lot too.

“My 30s will be a decade of discovery — but I’m still waiting for it to start. I would hope it is discovery in lots of different aspects of my life.”

prairiegirl said...

These guys are pathetic - all of them, pathetic with a capital P.

Timberlake, Leo, Jake, Austin, Orlando and Brad Cooper. Every single one of them. All of them controlled by puppet strings.

There comes a time when I just can't and will not feel sorry for them anymore.

destiny said...

Got that right PG. In fact I saw a story somewhere else that mentioned Brad and and Justin chatting up women after SNL.

Florida Tom said...

Your right Destiny. The tweets on J and A are the only ones I see. I am sure jake loves those hetero tweets:-) Thanks for posting that article Destiny.

By the way another NBA star Jockim Noah got himself in some hot water using some gay slurs when arguing with an annoying fan. He has since apologized and most likely will be fined. I was upset when Kobe did the same thing recently but he has gone out of his way to make amends since. Still not sure why hetero men just love using that word. Jake will most likely will send a congratulation card to Mr. Noah.



I heard raves on JT and SNL. Many say it was the best SNL ever.